Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Literacy tests and who gets to vote?

From: busy boone [mailto:mesoforte@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:47 PM
Subject: Literacy tests and who gets to vote?
Mr. Tancredo,
At first I was going to write you a nasty email expressing my outrage over your remarks that denigrated our fellow Americans who voted for President Obama. You know the ones...literacy tests and pronoucing english words, such as "vote".
But I have decided not to do that. I have instead decided to adhere to my personal mantra of...treat others as I want to be treated.
If I was out of line, I would want someone to calmly and with constructive criticism explain it to me.
Therefore, Mr. Tancredo, allow me to admonish you...these comments are ugly. All American citizens have the right to vote, and it does not matter if they can read and write, or pronounce/speak English. They, like you, are American citizens. You are not better than them. No, not at all. Please remove the arrogance and slanderous words from your speech. It is unattractive, and unbecoming of someone of your stature.
I encourage you to reflect on your own prejudices. I encourage you to speak with respect to all Americans. To those that agree with you (easily done). To those that do not agree with you (not as easy).
However, if you choose, you can hear the call. The call to the higher road. Be above the fray.
Be a man of respect.
If you respect yourself, then you respect others. Regardless of their political convictions.
Regards,
Juli Boone, fellow American and registered voter.

No comments:

Post a Comment