Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

Remarks At Tea Party Convention

From: Richard Bell [mailto:richfbell@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 6:19 PM
Subject: Remarks At Tea Party Convention
I do find your remarks, as somewhat insulting, concerning those who could not spell “vote” or say it in English.  Your implication that they don’t understand seems to be a bit flawed.

I don’t know about you, but I can remember when it would have been illegal for my family to vote in parts of this country because they are black.  That was not a pleasant time for them, myself or many other individuals.

But I do know members of my family were informed and had opinions about the events of the day.  Being illiterate did not make then any less knowledgeable than any other informed citizens, who happened to not be black.

Perhaps in your perfect country, to vote, you’d have to pass a test showing your ability to comprehend the details of governments.  Just like some of the existing regimes that limit individuals from exercising the right to vote.

Sorry, but my country gives anyone who is a citizen the right to vote.  Even those who don’t speak English but are of European heritage, and those who might think I should be condemned to the back of the bus or even deprived of the right to vote.

Richard Bell
Little Rock, Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment